Friday, March 23, 2012

Polar Bear Club - March 2012

"You're too sweet for rock 'n roll." - Penny Lane.

Think again, suckers. This girl attended her first Punk-Rock show and lovedddd it. After being introduced to this band I immediately traveled back in time to the days when I listened to Brand New, Taking Back Sunday and Gaslight Anthem on the regular. I am now left questioning why I ever abandoned that 'emo' phase back in college? Either way I'm really happy that my friend, Jayson, turned me on to them.

After researching, I find out they toured with Gaslight and Frank Turner (who I also dig, check out the song, " If Ever I Stray.") They are from Rochester, NY and they were back in their hometown for one night. Jayson and I drove to The Bug Jar, rocked out, and then drove back home. An 8 hour drive well worth it, also the tickets were $8. We also got to hear No Trigger and White Picket Fences, both deserving of a noteworthy review, too. So much hardcore-bang for the buck. Rock and roll.

I took a back seat to the norm participating that goes on, since it was my first punk show. Instead I observed, rocked at my own pace, and planned out the modifications I would make to my outfit (flat shoes, no bag) for the next show so that I could take part in the crowd surfing/complete and utter indulgences. When a friend asked what it was like I described it just like a Bikram yoga class...sweaty, terrifying but joyously supportive. Also, to note, my yoga game has been increasingly more focused since I started listening to this genre of music. Riddle me THAT.

Anyway, the band was unreal. I was really fixated on the drummer, TALENT. The songs are melodic, super dynamic most of the time and filled with anthem like lyrics. Jayson told me that at punk shows people just scream out the lyrics, so I did, on the few songs I knew the choruses too. I did loudly too, REAL loud. Liberating, yes.  Even though at the time of the show I had no idea what the lyrics were, I do now. Listening to their new album, 'Clash Battle Guilt Pride,' on repeat for the week after the show I had no choice but to learn the lyrics. As I spoke about in a previous review, I wanted to feel that high I felt after leaving the show again and again, so I replayed their tunes to catch a slight buzz rather than that full blow high from seeing them live. It helped. I want to go back, or to another show soon. I'm slowly increasing my repertoire of bands from this genre and processing how the music makes me feel and if I truly do like it so that I can find the right show to go to in the future.

Favorite tracks from 'Clash Battle Guilt Pride' include: "I'll Never Leave New York," "Pawner," "My Best Days."


Sidenote: Jimmy (his last name is escaping me) the lead singer is super cute, rocking glass and a super-cute hair cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment