Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Maryleigh & the Fauves - January 2012.

In the past year I've been lucky to cross paths with many new people, turned friends. Through the yoga studio and through our lovely community in Saratoga. The people that I have been meeting have so many positive qualities to offer, especially my new friend, Dave. He is a musician/artist and in a band himself. He had been serving me my Lucky Dragon Green Tea for quite a while, but I only recently had the opportunity of formally meeting him. He is the bass guitar player in the band Maryleigh & the Fauves. Dat bass.

I saw them perform last spring when they opened for Rusted Root at The Putnam Den in Saratoga, but didn't research/follow them closely until I met Dave. After listening to their tracks, and a swift 3 days later, I committed to attending his show at Exit Dome 5, fundraiser for a local indi-radio station Exit 97.7, held at  WMHT/WEXT studios in North Greenbush, NY.

It was an intimate setting, rows of chairs full of fans and supportive friends/family. My friend and I chose to stand in the back so we could dance when the band played. Hearing clips on YouTube and from their album iTunes (also on Spotify) I was hooked, but their live performance was simply delicious. Maryleigh's sultry vocals mesmerized the audience. Her consistency should be praised from the music gods and her delightful personality should be noted as well. Not only are Maryleigh's vocals melty like buttah, but she is a goddess on the guitar, to boot. Girl crush, perhaps?

The band is also compromised of a drummer, Zach and a trombone player, Heather. The uniqueness they display and their cohesion make ya wanna say "YEA!" The 4 together sync so well.  The folky/soul collection of songs they performed are perfect for 'easy' Sunday mornings and 'sexy' Saturday nights. At first listen to their debut album The Docks, I couldn't help but share it with everyone I knew. I even sent it to WEQX to play on their "Local @ 11" playlist.

I'd list my favorite songs but they are all my favorite. I'm not exaggerating. If you only have time to listen to a few...first, make more time...then cue up 'Foolish Girl," "Candy Man," and "The Boat Song." Turn that last one up REALLY loud. Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment