Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Of Monsters and Men - April 10, 2012.

Last November I went on my first solo excursion to the Land of Fire and Ice, otherwise known as Iceland. It's well known for its clean air, active lifestyle, long winters, glaciers, volcanoes, magnificent Northern Light's (aurora borealis) shows, and so much more. Take me back. Icelandic culture has its roots in Norse traditions and so does the music that comes from this majestic country. Icelandic music includes vibrant, folk and pop tradition. Some signature artists from Iceland are Bjork and Sigur Ros. Each year the country hosts the wild music festival, Iceland Airwaves. This festival show cases new artist's, and recently, Of Monsters and Men (OMAM) were added to the line-up..

Of Monsters and Men are described as indi-pop rock, most closely related to Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, Arcade Fire and Fleet Foxes. When I heard they were coming I bought my ticket immediately. I love me some jangly, folk music, live and only 30 minutes away from where I live. I will travel back to Iceland again, but for now, the short commute to Albany to see OMAM perform was appreciated. The 6 piece friendly band of young musicians made my Tuesday night.

Despite some melancholy lyrics their show was anything but that. Although I would have much preferred to see them at a different venue, Jillian's held a great show. The sold out show was jam-packed full of hipsters of all different ages and PBRs. They played for just about one hour, short and sweet.

The group of 'monsters' jive super well together and you can tell they have spent those dark and damp Icelandic winter days day dreaming of romance and the warmer weather, perhaps? 'Little Talks' describes loneliness and losing someone you love. I think the lyrics border on insanity, which I can see would be an affect of living in Iceland through the winter days. Seasonal Affect Disorder, much?  Hearing it live, 'Little Talk's' was delightful. Kristján on that trumpet, dat brasssss.  Play.it.again. Super catchy/infectious/joyful beat.

'Love, Love, Love,' was so sweet. I actually felt those pangs of sadness for missing a place so much. Sensory memory was in full effect. Did I mention I loved Iceland? Then I let the sounds just wash over me, eyes closed.  Nanna's delicate but dynamic soprano vocals sounded like a lullaby...or maybe a fairy-tale?

I belted out 'From Finner,' from the back of the venue: "we're far from home, but we're so happy." Emphasis on the happy.  The song's on their very recent album release, My Head Is an Animal, are so well put together and unique. Captivating brass, accordion, piano and even the glockenspiel are all present throughout too.
I brought the band one of the souvenirs I purchased while traveling, a shot size bottle of Brennivin, Iceland's schnapps liquor. It can't be purchased in the US.  It's most definitely an acquired taste, so it was my pleasure to pass it along to them. They were stoked when I handed it to them, and shocked how I got my paws on it. I was able to share my travels with them and their genuine appreciation made me feel really cool. (Nanna, you can reach me at lindsay.pirozzi@gmail.com. I'd be happy to finish the last leg of the tour with you guys, I'm really fun.)  They just seem like really nice people, Their stage presence is laid back and the show they put on was super pleasurable.

Thank you for coming to Albany, OMAM and thanks to EQX for making it possible. Buy their album. Listen to WEQX.

1 comment:

  1. so fun! i am jealous of how close you live to so many live music venues--one of many things to miss about the upstate NY area. xo!

    ReplyDelete