Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Passion Pit - April 23, 2012

"Northern Lights is a pit of passion!!" - Duncan, EQX afternoon DJ.

Indeed, Duncan, indeed. Last night's show in that glorious, strip mall was hot, hot, hot! The dancing, the light shows, the people and the music....HOT. This electro-pop-indie-rock-dance-who the eff cares-band was full on vibrant last night. The synth-pop trickled through my bloodstream and made me groove, and it was all legal.

Part disco with a bangin' falsetto, lead singer Michael Angelakos was fairly consistent throughout the set. Not every song sounded great,  but the beats in the back pulsed just right that I was willing to overlook it. The crowd favorites were played, 'The Reeling,' 'To Kingdom Come,' and 'Sleepyhead.' They closed the show with my favorite, 'Little Secrets.'

The album's pretty mysterious, half in part because some of the lyrics are unidentifiable, but also because of the psychedelic synth and shrieking vocals kind of border on creepy. The tunes are infectious, nonetheless. They remind me a lot of MGMT and that's why I like them. Manners is their most recent album, but they did play some new songs that are soon to be released. I forget their names, but I definitely enjoyed them. Each song is different, some songs carry an erratic melody, you try to search for the beat, but instead fall captive to the unknown territory and just dance.

I was sweaty and smiling throughout the whole show, my friends surrounded me which elevated my experience more. It was euphoric and I was stone sober, I think that speaks volumes.

This brought my April shows to a close and I couldn't be more stoked for what's to come. I'm excited for summer, for more dancing and well...just excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment