Friday, April 20, 2012

Trampled By Turtles - April 19th, 2012

Peace out Winter.....SUMMER IS COMING!  Trampled by Turtles, for me, is the quintessential seasonal welcome.

I never followed bluegrass music until I dated a musically inclined dude, last summer, who played the mandolin. Now the genre has a nostalgic, summery feel and I can't help but think of him and my friend Jeremy's frequent jam sesh's on the beach last summer. I really admire a musician that can be unique within the traditional folk genre and those twangy sounding instruments just make you feel good. Give me a harmonica, an IPA and the beach and I'm a happy girl.

While the mando player and myself didn't work out, my love for this sub-genre of country music stayed. I discovered Trampled by Turtles last summer and haven't really revisited them until now. My friend Jayson, who is turning out to be my concert PIC, filled me in about TBT's show in Syracuse at the last minute. We share the same philosophy/game-plan on going to shows so naturally, I said, "yes." I rationalized the ticket purchase because it's better than spending $ on something dumb and I had some money in my concert-piggy bank since I didn't get to see Ani DiFranco this month. Ticket's were only $20 and it was a new venue. Also, a road trip to 'Cuse meant the possibilty of seeing my friend, Mike. He joined us for the show, not really knowing the band, and by the end was buying merch. I miss you dudeee <3

The show was held at The Westcott Theater in Syracuse, NY.  The exterior reminded me of New Orleans which in turn, made everything right with the world. Inside this 'cinema turned music hall' venue was a decent size stage and a wide open, sloped floor perfect for adequate dancing space and the ability to see the stage if you're a shawty and a person of above average height stands in front of you.  If you're in the area, it's worth your while. The theater hosts local and more nationally known artists. Some upcoming shows I noticed were Shpongle and Rubblebucket! (Jay Christopher and Caleb Stratton, if you're reading this let's Rubblebucket it UP, yea?)

Trampled by Turtles are on tour promoting their newest album, Stars and Satellites. This album is consistent with their older tunes but a bit more folk over bluegrass. Personally, I think it's blue-grass 2.0 because of it's boundary pushing, in a real good way.  My 2 favorites from the album are 'Widower's Heart' and 'Alone.' They played both, along with their most recognizable tune, 'Wait So Long,' 'Where Is My Mind?' their Pixie cover AND a sweet cover of 'The Weight,' too! We rushed to the stage for 'Wait So Long,' danced our hearts out and belted out the lyrics which felt oh-so-good. This was a perfect band to see right before The Avett Brothers' show on Sunday!

This 5 piece band consists of outstanding musicians. They each dominate their individual instruments; including the fiddle, mandolin, guitar, bass and banjo. They all take part in vocals but Dave Simonett is considered lead. At times last night, it seemed their arms and fingers weren't even connected to their body. I was in awe at the rapid-fire strumming and the skill level right in front of my eyeballs.  LISTEN TO THIS BAND. Their talent, modest stage presence and ability to put you in a jam-trance should be noted. They have fun together and seem really comfortable on stage. They aren't putting on an act, they just want to play. TBT was just added to the Lollapalooza line-up. Not that I'm complaining but last night would have been even more perfect if it was outside, so, for those lucky enough to be at Lolla, you're in for a treat.

It was midnight on the 90 East when we were on the way home from the show...2 hours later, back in Saratoga. Another great show in the books.  I'll leave you with my favorite, and fitting, lyrics from, 'Midnight on the Interstate' off the new album....“Mostly sober, sometimes I change my mind,” Simonett sings bottom line,  “love and love and nothing else is all I need.”


*These United States opened for TBT and also were joined by some of the TBT members at the end of their set. I would definitely check them out. I'd comment more, but I was only paying half attention because I wanted to catch up with my fraaaand who, again, I miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment